CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Baking Bits: Fly Dip



When the Hubster and I were engaged and I met his entire family for the first time, they had this dip. My future mother-in-law starts naming things on the table to eat and then says, “And there’s fly dip too!” With so much excitement and enthusiasm that I honestly thought they were all crazy!

Fly Dip? Are you kidding me? What in the world is fly dip?

My fiancé insisted I try it because he just knew I would love it as much as everyone in his family did. WOW! No pressure or anything! What if I hate it? Do I pretend to like it to stay on their good side? What if it was the most disgusting thing in the world and I literally gagged on it? I was terrified to try it! True story!!!

So, I scooped a small amount onto my plate, got some tortilla chips and made my way to the table. Oh man was I nervous! They were all waiting for me to try it – literally, they were watching me eat to see what I thought. Have you ever had anyone watch you eat? It’s quite unnerving. I mean, what if I dribbled something out of my mouth? UGH!! The pressure…

But, seriously…they were RIGHT!! You really do have to try it before you pass judgment. Looks can definitely be deceiving on this one. It may look questionable, but it’s truly yummy. And highly addictive! You’ll find yourself doing that ol’ going back for more chips to eat the dip, only to have leftover chips that need more dip scenario over and over and over.

This was one of my Dad’s favorite dips. It’s a cold dip, so it’s wonderful in the summer. And perfect for outside gatherings since none of the ingredients will spoil in the heat! Win-Win!!!

Here’s how you make this super duper easy-peasy, scrumdillyumptious treat.

You’ll need:
1 small can chopped black olives (4.25oz)
1 medium can green chiles (7oz)
1 large can petite diced tomatoes (28oz)
3-4 green onions
1 tsp. (heaping) Garlic Salt
1 tsp. Sea Salt
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
1 ½ TBSP White Vinegar
3 TBSP Oil

What do you think of my nice blue backdrop? Okay, so truth...my kitchen island was cluttered and I didn't take the time to clean it up, so I put a box up there and draped a blue snuggie over it. Nice, huh?!


Okay, are you ready for this level of difficult cooking? Hang on…here we go!

#1 – Open black olives and green chiles and pour into medium bowl. Do not drain them. Just pour them in.

#2 – Open diced tomatoes and add them. Don't drain these either, you'll need the juice. You with me so far?

#3 – Add garlic salt, sea salt and pepper. We’re moving fast I know, but try to keep up people!

#4 – Add the chopped green onions. Just scrape 'em in there.


#5 - Add vinegar and oil. Still with me??

#6 – Stir all ingredients together until blended. How ya doin’? Still with me?

#7 – Chill for 2-3 hours before serving. I prefer to make mine a day ahead of time to let the juices really sit and soak up those spices we put in. The longer it sits, the better it is in my opinion.

Serve with Tortilla style chips and you’re ready to go! YUM!!!!

Whew! Did you make it all the way through with me? I know it’s a tough one to follow. Open, pour, chop, scrape, stir. Got it?


Oh man...I can't wait to have this tomorrow night at Small Group!!! The smells just bring back such good memories to my taste buds! 


Confession: After taking these pictures, I had to eat the chips and some dip. I mean...they were already contaminated! And boy was it yummy!

What’s your favorite quick summertime dish? Feel free to share in the comments or link back to a post so we can all benefit!

Blessings,
Annette


Linking up to these fabulous parties:

No comments: