CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 5, 2012

Maid for Mondays: The GREAT Clothes Swap




Wellit’s that time of year again. The time when us Mom’s get to drag out boxes and bins of clothes to sort, organize and pack or un-pack.

Is it me, or do your kids’ clothes multiply over the past season? I pull out boxes labeled with the size and gender I need (at least I’m that organizedor mostly anyway) and start the sorting process. Sometimes this takes days upon days at my house.

I have nearly finished this daunting task at my house. (I’m still a little nervous about completely packing away winter just yet! Oklahoma weather tends to get a little crazy in March!) This year it took me a little longer than normal to put away winter and bring out spring/summer.

These are the one’s she didn’t wear much.
Dresses on top, long-sleeve shirts on bottom to left.
As I was putting away my older daughter’s dresses, I realized she didn’t wear half of them. Some of them fit smaller than others, some just didn’t fit her body (she’s kinda thick through the chest area, so empire waists don’t do well on her at this age). But, more than thatshe had probably 35-40 dresses!!! And, that was only 24m-2T!! OH. MY. WORD! Can you say overboard?

Remember this? The dresses she wore
the most are in these 2 stacks!
So, I decided that as I packed Winter away and brought out the Spring/Summer items I would be more intentional in my choices. I mean, seriouslymy 2yr old daughter does not need 45 dresses! Now, keep in mind she also has some skirt/shirt combos too!! I mean, really?! Can you tell she was the first girl?? Of course, it doesn’t hurt that there are so many cute dresses and skirts out there! And don’t even get me started on the bow situation! ugh! 
So, I made a list of what we thought would work number-wise and went through the bins very intentionally. I made sure every shirt and skirt had at least one match and more was even better! Then, I had to sort through those cute, adorable dresses and pick out the ones I thought she got the most/best wear out of and the ones that were my favorite on her. WOW was that tiresome! I had a hard time letting go of some things, even if she never wore it! But, I did.

Not only am I conserving space by only having ONE bin per size/gender, but I’m also learning to be more frugal with our money and what we buy our children.

The other reason I did this was to get ready for the semi-annual Just Between Friends (JBF) Sale here. I do two different sales each season, which has given us a little re-imbursement on our own purchases. I usually go with a list of what each child needs, but my numbers were mere guesses. This year I decided to get specific and spend only what I had to spend. So, I went through the clothes I already had for each child and wrote down what else was needed. I went shopping on Saturday with a very specific list in hand. My mom and I did GREAT!!!

The white outline shows you what we purchased!!
Just don't look at my mess behind it!!
Let me tell youshopping for all 4 kids in ONE location in under 4 hours is absolutely priceless!! I was able to get everything on my list too! I am so pleased with what we found and the prices I was able to pay!!

Nowdon’t get me wrong, I’ll probably still scout out some garage sales this season and look for more deals. But, I know that if I find nothing its okay! My kids’ are going to be clothed anyway! Whew! Isn’t that a relief?! I know you were sweating that one, right?!

So, now my bins are back in their rightful place until late July/early August. That’s when I start going through the Winter clothing for the Fall/Winter JBF sale! (Be sure to check for JBF sales in your area by visiting their website.)

This system of organization and shopping seems to work for us right now. But, I am always open to new ideas!!! What other tips do you have for organizing a “large” family’s off-season clothing?

Don’t spend all your time indoors sorting clothes though! Be sure to get out and ENJOY this lovely weather!!!! HmmmI guess that depends on where you live, doesn’t it? NeverthelessHappy Sorting!

Blessings,

No comments: