CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Middle Years: My perspective


(If you missed it, you can read Part 1 here.)

As I got older and entered into Middle School (6th-8th grade here), I saw even less of my Dad. He moved to a daytime shift, but I had dance 3-4 nights a week. I was also involved in Camp Fire, which required monthly meetings as well as campouts and various events. I volunteered at church, so I helped out on Wednesday nights, so that didn’t leave much time for my family. Except on Saturday afternoons and that was when my Dad wanted to be left alone. In the summer, he spent the better part of most Saturdays doing yard work and/or paying bills. This was the family I knew.

I was heavily involved in dance lessons through high school. I also played in the school orchestra, a extra chamber orchestra that met after school 1x a week, show choir that met 2x a week after school and I gave cello lessons to some of the middle school students one afternoon a week. Since I was at school nearly every afternoon until 4 or 4:30, I went straight to my dance studio and sat in the dressing room doing my homework until my class started at 5:30pm. I would do this Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. Wednesday I went straight to church and Fridays I came home for a bit before football games (in the fall at least). Needless to say, my own life was busy. And, at that timeI loved it! I really did. I loved music and still do! My Dad also loved music and that is the one thing we had in common. But, with his work schedule and my extra-curriculars taking up so much time, I rarely saw my Dad. I even had dance classes on Saturday and was gone by 9am not to return before 1pm. By that time, he was usually fully engrossed in yard work or in bill paying mode (i.e. DO NOT DISTURB!).

It wasn’t until I left for college (5 years after I graduated high school, another story for another day) that we became close. I think it was the distance between us that made him reflect on his life and his life as a Dad. He realized I had grown up and he missed most of it!

Stay tuned for Part 3 coming on Monday!!!

Blessings,
Annette

No comments: