CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thursdays Thoughts: 12 Things I learned in 2011


This is exactly what happens at my house when we talk about potty-training!!!
 http://o5.com/signs-your-toddlers-ready-for-potty-training/ 


12. I stink at potty training. You may find this strange since I have a 6-yr old that’s been trained since he was 20 months, but truly I have absolutely NO IDEA what I’m doing! My 35 month old son wants nothing to do with the potty & my 20 month old daughter has peed and pooped on it already! So, I’ve decidedI stink at potty training – and I’m okay with that! It will happen when it happens.
11. Not everyone is going to agree with you. As a people-pleaser by nature this is difficult for me to swallow. But, I’ve come to realize that my convictions are not the same as everyone else’s and therefore, they may not agree with me or my beliefs. And you know whatthat’s okay (provided its not a salvation issue because that’s non-negotiable with me). I simply ask you to respect them.
10. I need to get rid of my temper.  I can be a hot-head at times and have even found myself having to leave the room to avoid explosion. This is not the parent I want to be. I want to be a warm, loving parent that her kids run to for comfort, support and just plain hugs! THIS is going to change in 2012. (One of my few resolutions.)
9.  I can control my eating.  For several years its been a goal of mine to loose weight and get into better shape. This past year I realized I do have the will-power to make that happen. Unfortunately I realized that while I was pregnant and couldn’t do much about it! So, this year I can and will!! (I’m super excited about this one!!!)
8.  Housework can wait. I know I’ve read a ton of blogs about this very subject, but this Type-A personality just couldn’t get it in her head! I’ve always been one that needs to stay busy from the time I get out of bed until my head finally hits the pillow at night. I’ve revamped our family schedule to allow me more time with my youngens while they are awake. And I must sayits been pure JOY!!
7.  A perfect house is just a myth. There is NO such thing as a perfect house! At least not if you live in itand WE DO!! My kids love to play with their toys all over the house. That’s just the way they are. And, I wouldn’t have it any other way! (Just watch your step if you come over!)
6.  Take advantage of teachable moments as MUCH as you can! This one is a difficult one for me. I tend to get caught up in the cleaning, folding, washing dishes, etc. that I miss the teachable moments and allow them to slip by. I realize that sometimes other things take priority (i.e. don't leave your infant on the changing table alone to go to the other room and teach your 2yo a lesson.), but for the most part I can stop what I’m doing and take time to make the corrections.
5.  Children can help with chores.  My obsessive tendencies are most tested when I let others do things I like a particular waysuch as folding clothes or loading the dishwasher. I know that sounds silly, but its true. I have a certain way of folding clothes & when they’re not done that way it looks messy (to me). I’m learning to bite my tongue on this. My 6yo asks to help sometimes and often I’ve pushed him away because of my selfish desire for perfection. When what I should do is take him and teach him how to fold, then let him “practice.” And most importantly DON’T correct him, but praise him for his efforts. (Yes, there are times I’ve had to rewash a dish seeing as we eat on them and all.)
4.  Naps are necessary. At least sometimes they are. I used to push myself to the brink of exhaustion daily. With the Hubsters overnight work schedule, I often find myself up all hours of the night with sick kiddos, only to wake at 5:30am with my oldest son (his favorite time to awake). I used to pride myself on the fact that I NEVER took napseven after difficult nights. But, on those days I realized I was the crankiest and had the shortest fuse. A short 30-min nap is sometimes in order to maintain my health and sanity!!
3.  Organization is KEY. At least for me it is. That’s why I’ve joined this challenge to help me get there. I used to be completely organized BEFORE kids! Now, I need to find my way back. I simply function better when I’m organized and that begins with my home.
2.  My kids are growing up before my eyes. I know everyone says it. But, it’s TRUE!!! My oldest will be 7 this summer and I can’t believe how fast the time has gone. At times he’s still my sweet, little chunky boy that I want to cuddle with, but he’s growing up right in front of me. And the others are too! My middles are just about ready to potty train (I hope - see #11) and my youngest is trying to pull herself up to sit. It goes by in such a flash that before you know itthey’re getting married! I must take advantage of every moment I have to ENJOY them!!!
1.  My prayer and spiritual life need improvement. In fact, most of the time they’re non-existent. I find myself so consumed with my “housewife” and “mother” duties that I disregard THE MOST IMPORTANT duty I havebeing a daughter of the King!! I find myself waking up with a mile-long list of to-do’s that I skip right over the time I need to spend with my Creator. This year I MUST do better! Its not just a need anymore, it’s a true desire for a deeper, more meaningful relationship with my Lord. When I am living in His will for my life, the rest of my day will fall into place. My priorities may change as the day, week or year goes along, but as long as I’m living in HimI’ll be just fine!

I’m so excited for the new journey 2012 will bring. Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!!

Blessings,
Annette

No comments: